‘All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptising them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.’ – Matthew 28
Why a Board of Mission?
In the development of the Presbytery of Fife there has been a real vision and desire for mission, and the equipping of people and churches for mission to be at the heart of all that we do.
When thinking about “mission” people have a variety of thoughts on what it means but a really helpful summary is found in what are called “The 5 marks of mission”:
- To proclaim the Good News of the Kingdom
- To teach, baptise and nurture new believers
- To respond to human need by loving service
- To seek to transform unjust structures of society, to challenge violence of every kind and to pursue peace and reconciliation
- To strive to safeguard the integrity of creation and sustain and renew the life of the earth
What will the Board of Mission do?
The Board has a wide ranging remit covering the following areas of the life of the church:
- Ministry focusing on the support of Mission
- Presbytery Strategy Planning and Resourcing
- Education and Nurture
- World Mission
- Social and Community Interests
- Pastoral Care
In each of these areas we will be seeking to encourage and equip churches within Fife so that we live out the five marks of mission.
As a priority in our first year we’ll be developing a mission strategy that will inform the next Presbytery plan and looking to consult on this soon.
Who will do it?
We are excited to have recently appointed a Mission Director, Neil Campbell, who will work together with churches throughout the Presbytery as they seek to reach out to their communities and to make disciples in their local context.
The Board of Mission will have 9 members along with the Convenor, Andrew Morrice, who will take a lead on taking this important work forward with the help of various taskgroups that will be created in first half of 2021.